Remember The Days When Your Memory Was Perfect
Remember more, whether you are a young student or advancing in age. You can have a better memory, remember more, and maintain a sharp mind with some tips to improve your memory.
Everyone has a little brain drain now and then, an Alzheimer’s moment, or a minute when all synapses simply aren’t firing quit right. There are a myriad of reasons why your memory may be failing you but most of them are reversible and not serious. For example, fatigue, stress, or hormone imbalances can all affect your ability to remember more.
7 Tips To Remember More and Improve Your Memory
1. Vitamin C: Vitamin C is an antioxidant that is important in relieving stress. Vitamin C supports our adrenal glands which is the source of stress hormones. Adding a vitamin C supplement to your diet often will clear your thinking. During times of stress the adrenal gland craves vitamin C and stock piles it to protect against free-radical damage. Ongoing stress depletes this nutrients from our bodies and adrenal glands. Looking to clear up some stress related foggy thinking and lack of focus? Try 250-500mg of vitamin C per day to fight stress.
2. Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate is my favorite way to keep my brain sharp and focused. Cocoa is packed with brain healthy antioxidants called flavonoids. Studies show that people who regularly eat dark chocolate have more blood flow in their brains. In a recent study young adults were given either white chocolate (which contains no flavonoids) or dark chocolate to eat over a period of time. The results showed that those eating the dark chocolate performed better in cognitive and memory tests compared tot the white chocolate eaters. Dark chocolate helps you to remember more! Hallelujah!
3. Fat: The brain is composed of a significant amount of fat and it needs fat to function. The thing is, it needs to be the right kind of fats. Diets high in saturated fats have been proven to increase your chance of getting dementia or Alzheimer’s later in life. A healthy diet rich in healthy fats actually preserves brain function and keeps your brain cells fat and happy. Omega 3 fatty acids add a lot of brain power. They provide nutrients that are important for the structure and function of the brain cells. Studies show the regular consumption of Omega 3 fatty acids results in improved cognition and better memory. Choose healthy fats such as those found in fish, flax, and olive oil. Three ounces of fish twice weekly can be enough to support your brain power. If you don’t like fish or other sources of healthy fats consider taking a fish oil supplement 500-1000mg per day. Always discuss dosing with your doctor before beginning an over the counter regime.
4. Get enough sleep: Too much or too little sleep are both brain busters. A solid 7-8 hours of sleep per night will keep your mind focused and able to function at a high level. If you are studying for an exam, by the way, studies show that if you study right before you go to sleep at night you will retain more information the next day.
5. Walk or Hike or Move: Several studies have shown that people have improved memory function after going on a nature walk or power walk. Any exercise improves blood flow to the brain and also helps to support your mood. When your mood is in check your memory is also improved, by the way.
6. Practice make perfect: Exercising your brain to help you remember more is as easy as adopting some memory habits. Add some memory tricks to your day-to-day activities and you will find your memory is enhanced. There are a few simple things you can do that will really help:
- Pay attention: Focus on using all of your senses to absorb the information you are trying to remember. Block out all the distractions and simply pay attention. You will retain more.
- Rehearse: After you have heard a message, go over it again in your head or even out loud. Repeat the information immediately after you have learned it and against several times throughout the day or week.
- Visual imagery: Associate a visual image with the information you are trying to remember.
7. Socialize: Research suggests a strong correlation between having an active social life and maintaining brain function and an optimal memory.
Remember more by adding a few helpers to your daily life and routine. What improve your memory tips help you remember more?