Indian Food Has A Place In Our Hearts and Our Stomachs
Indian food has had a place in my heart for as long as I remember. Doc is as passionate about the Indian flavors of curry, saffron, coriander, turmeric and cumin. Just the aroma alone makes my heart swell with joy. Add a little spice and , well, YUM!
Garbanzo beans, also known as chick peas, are an Indian food staple. The indian food inspired recipe below is a healthy snack you can take anywhere. I hope you enjoy it but first a note about garbanzo beans.
Garbanzo beans are a legume and have many health benefits. For example, garbanzo beans are:
- a great source of fiber.
- a bean that lowers your risk of colon cancer.
- a source of antioxidants.
- a bean that lowers total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.
- a bean that regulates blood sugars leading to a stable blood sugar level.
- high in fiber to increase satiety while consuming less food supporting a healthy weight.
It is so easy to add these fantastic legumes to your diet. You can:
- Sprinkle garbanzo beans on salads
- mix them into dips such as hummus
- mash them into a sandwich spread
- toss them in a soup
- Bake them in the oven slathered in indian food spices for a healthy snack, see the recipe below
Indian Food Spicy Garbanzo Beans Snack Recipe
- 2 (15oz.) cans of chick peas (garbanzo beans) drained & rinsed.
- 2 TBS. olive oil
- 1 teas. ground cumin
- 1 teas. garam masala
- 1 teas. chili powder
- 1/2 teas. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teas. sea salt
- Heat oven to 400 & arrange rack in the middle
- Add spices and olive oil to a bowl and mix well.
- Add garbanzo beans to the bowl and toss well.
- Place the garbanzo beans in the bowl & toss with the spice mixture until evenly coated.
- Spread the garbanzo beans in even layer on a rimmed baking sheet, bake until crisp. 30 to 40 minutes.
Pop these little Indian food gems in your mouth while watching TV for a healthy snack or take them on a picnic lunch. Pack them in your kids lunches or take them on your next skiing trip for a powerful high protein snack on the hill. Toss them in your backpack while hiking or to the Friday night football game. You get the idea, these are a quick and easy delicious snack that is heart healthy and nutritious for your entire body. Take your spicy garbanzo beans with you anywhere you need a healthy vegetarian or gluten free snack. You can even serve them at a party or as a side dish for dinner. Try a little Indian food in your diet. Start with this easy spicy garbanzo beans snack recipe. Enjoy!