Red Wine Is Good For You The Question Is How Much
How much red wine is okay to drink? You might be surprised at that question if you didn’t know that red wine is good for you. It is true. Red wine drinkers should be happy to know that a glass of red does have a myriad of health benefits. I, too, enjoy a good glass of red wine….or two on occasion. I especially love a glass with a fine healthy meal or an ounce of dark chocolate.
Health Benefits of Red Wine
In moderation, red wine has many health benefits. You just have to be aware of how much you are drinking. One glass per day can lead to better health and quality of life (in my book anyway). Health benefits include:
- Keeps blood vessels flexible and supports cardiovascular health.
- Decreases bad cholesterol and raises good
- Fights against tumor growth and inhibits cancer development.
- Resveratrol in red wine has been shown to impair the production of amyloid proteins which is found in the brains of Alzheimer’s patients. Wine is good for the mind.
- Anti-oxidants protect you against the common cold as well as many other diseases.
- Red wine may protect your hearing! Resveratrol is at it again in this new study that shows it protects against hearing loss.
How Much Red Wine
You might be surprised to find that one glass of wine per day is all you need for optimal health. Men, you can have two. Of course, one glass of wine can be interpreted differently depending on the person, the function, or the day you have had. Right? Well, lets just set a parameter to help us along, shall we? In truth, one glass of wine is just 5 ounces. How much? Five ounces daily is how much is recommended for optimal health. Five ounces is:
- 10 Tablespoons
- 150 ml
- Just over 1/2 Cup
- 5/8 of a cup.
- Less than 1/2 can of pop
For those of us who love red wine it is wonderful to know that it has great health benefits. The health benefits of alcohol are not limited to wine, however. Any alcohol is healthy for the heart if taken in moderation or 1 drink per day. Red wine does offer a bit more bang for the buck, however. The tannins from the grapes are full of anti-oxidants. That is what gives it cancer fighting properties. Of course, if misused the health benefits are essentially extinguished. Liver disease, obesity, and cognitive loss can all be attributed to routine excess alcohol consumption.
A Red Wine Toast
So, enjoy your 5 ounce glass of red wine. Raise it with me and lets toast: To good health! Cheers!