Nuts Are Worth Celebrating This Holiday
Go nuts for nuts this holiday. They are a perfect and healthy snack that are especially wonderful during the holiday season. Nuts are a great addition to your holiday party table and make wonderful gifts. They are a healthy addition to baked goods as wells as main and side dishes. They are like adding a jewel to your meal. Sprinkle them everywhere or eat them by the handfuls.
Yes. Nuts are healthy, versatile and taste delicious. I know, they are high in calories. However, they have consistently been shown to decrease the risk of heart disease. They are filled with antioxidants, protein, and nutrition. One ounce or one handful per day is a healthy addition to your diet that also tastes great.
- Almonds: Almonds are the world nut market leader. More people eat almonds than any other type of nut. Almonds are very rich in calcium, phosphorus and potassium.
- Cashews: Delicious velvety cashews are a nut rich in carbohydrates and vitamin A.
- Hazelnuts: My favorite nut! Hazelnuts are high in protein, carbohydrates, vitamin E, minerals, fiber, phytosterols and the antioxidant phenolic. Munch on hazelnuts with a bite of dark chocolate for a special, healthy treat. Yum!
- Pistachios: Doc’s favorite nut! Pistachios are rich in calcium, thiamine, phosphorous, iron and vitamin A. That is a lot of nutrition for such a little nut.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are the nutritional king of nuts and have been shown to lower blood pressure. They have a high concentrations of mineral salts and vitamins. They are also a great source of fiber. Find out more about heart healthy walnuts here.
All nuts are high in protein and nutritional content. Their health benefits are hard to deny. They are a heart healthy high protein alternative to meat. No matter which nut is your favorite you will be gaining nutritional benefits. One handful per day is enough to make your heart happy. One handful is about 25 -30 pieces, which make a perfect snack! We at A Doctor And A Nurse go nuts for nuts this holiday and everyday of the year! Have a happy and nutty holiday!