The Goodness Of Chicken Soup With The Heartiness of Brown Rice and Wild Rice
A Chicken soup recipe in the fall and winter is a staple in our home. The health benefits of chicken soup have been proven and when my family gets the sniffles the chicken soup recipe comes out of the file and onto the stove top. This recipe isn’t your run of the mill stuffy nose chicken noodle soup recipe though. This soup is creamy yet hearty and bursting with flavor. It is an incredible blend of spices, flavors and textures that will soothe the soul. Chicken soup with brown rice and wild rice tastes wonderful!
Chicken Soup Ingredients
- 1 Leek white and green parts thinly sliced
- 1 ounce organic dried chanterelle mushrooms
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups of chicken broth
- 2.5 cups of milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoon of fresh chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Cups cooked Wild Rice
- 1 Cups cooked Brown Rice
Chicken Soup Directions
- Soak dried mushrooms in 1 cup of boiling water and set aside.
- Prepare the brown rice and wild rice per the package instructions
- In a large skillet saute leek, garlic and mushrooms in canola oil until tender.
- Stir in flour.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium saucepan combine the chicken broth and milk and brink to a boil.
- Add the mushrooms with their water, basil, salt, pepper, bay leaf , brown rice and wild rice.
- Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
A Note – Make Your Soup Gluten Free Or Vegetarian
This soup can be made both gluten free and vegetarian. Instead of using chicken stock, use vegetable stock for the soup base and leave out the chicken for a delicious vegetarian brown rice and wild rice soup. The soup is naturally gluten free except that some chicken stock are made with gluten. Just make sure you use a gluten free chicken stock to make sure this chicken soup recipe remains gluten free. Boullion cubes, by the way, have gluten in them.
Chicken soup with brown and wild rice can be doctored up to make it your own. Add carrots, celery or any other veggies you love. Use rosemary or oregano for a different flavor. I personally think this chicken soup recipe is perfect just the way it is but the beauty of soup is you get to make it any way that you like. I hope you enjoy our chicken soup recipe with brown rice and wild rice as much as we do. I feel a chill in the air, it is time to bring out the chicken soup!